If you are anything like me, you love smoothies during summer time. I am completely obsessed with this particular smoothie at the moment, so obsessed that I have had it for breakfast every single day this week, because it really is that good! The smoothie has a vibrant bright purple color because of the blueberries, and with the added protein powder this makes a perfect post-workout meal.
If you do not have protein powder you can of course make it without, perhaps by adding in another banana to get that thick and creamy texture. When looking for protein powder make sure you do not buy whey or other powders that contain animal products. Remember you can always make this completely raw by using certified raw products!
Ingredients, makes one large glass:
- 1 frozen banana (fresh is OK too)
- 2/3 cup ice cubes
- 1/3 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 1/2 cup liquids (I use half and half of unsweetened soy milk and water)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence (optional)
- 1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 1 scoop vegan vanilla or unflavoured protein powder (optional)
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender and blend until all the frozen ingredients are completely smooth. Add in vanilla essence and cinnamon to taste, and pour the smoothie into a large glass. Just like the protein powder you can make this with or without vanilla as well, that is just personal preference, and I add it in almost anything sweet I make (I LOVE vanilla.. hehe).
The consistency is almost like a soft serve ice-cream so if you want it more “drinkable” just add in more soy milk and/or use fresh bananas instead of frozen. This tastes best served fresh because the frozen ingredients will melt if you make it along time beforehand, but you can store it the fridge for a few days without worrying about it spoiling.
Hope you guys enjoyed this recipe, and let me know what your favorite summer-time smoothie is!