I do not know about you, but personally I love green smoothies. It is a perfect way to get your greens in, or tricking your vegetable-hating kid to have some, and it does not hurt that it has an amazing taste, vibrant color and creamy consistency. You can turn pretty much any smoothie a lot healthier by throwing in a couple handfuls of spinach leaves or kale. For this recipe I used stemmed kale, mainly because it had to be used today or else it would go bad. If you are new to making green smoothies you should always make sure you add enough sweet fruit, and always use either a banana or half an avocado to get the thick and creamy texture of a smoothie.
Ingredients, makes one large glass:
- 1-2 cups kale or spinach leaves
- 1 cup unsweetened soy milk, water or other plant-based milk
- 4 large ice cubes
- 1 banana (preferably frozen)
- 1 apple, cored and chopped (remove skin if you want to)
- A dash of cinnamon and/or vanilla essence (optional)
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender and blend until all the ice is properly crushed, and the smoothie is thoroughly mixed. This time I removed the stems on the kale but this is completely optional, and use however much greens you feel comfortable with. If you are not used to drinking green smoothies you should always use spinach or kale, due to the fact that they are very nutritious but you can hardly taste it when blended with fruit.
So there you have it! Quick and simple recipe, for a delicious green smoothie. If you do not have all these ingredients you can always modify the recipe to what you have available, but be careful with adding a lot of berries, though it tastes good the color usually turns an unappealing shade of grey. So tell me, what does your favorite green smoothie contain?