There’s certain dishes that a plant based diet does very well and curries is one of those. This curry recipe is no exception and it is delicious with it’s eggplant, tomatoes and lentils forming the base of a great dish.
There’s a great tip in this recipe for cooking lentils – apparently the acidity in the tomatoes can stop the lentils from softening, so the best way for ensuring that this doesn’t happen is to simmer the lentils separately before adding them to the curry dish towards the end.
As with all curries, this is great with rice and Naan bread (make sure it is vegan), or even just with some bread or potatoes. Just because it is curry, that doesn’t mean to have to have rice with it – free your mind!
Lentil & Eggplant Curry Ingredients
- 1/2 cup dried brown lentils
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium (1 pound) eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded and minced (optional, leave it out for a milder dish)
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 to 3 tablespoons garam masala, to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Cooked basmati rice, for serving
This vegan recipe and beautiful photos are courtesy of Oh My Veggies. You can get this delicious Lentil & Eggplant Curry recipe by clicking here.