As my little sister and I were wondering what to make for dessert today, we browsed through one of her books called “Delicious Cakes And Other Desserts”. Whenever I am stuck and unsure of what to make I like to look through pictures and recipes of different dishes, today in that exact book. It is not particularly a vegan cook book, but one Emma got quite a while back and it has been much used after that. I take much pride in being able to recreate a lot of dishes and when my little sister suggested we make lemon cupcakes with apricot frosting, my mind was already thinking out the recipe in my head. The cupcakes would be easy enough, because this is far from my first time making it (go through the Cakes/Cupcakes category and look for yourself). However due to the never-ending request on making soy-free recipes, I had to find a different frosting recipe than the one I used on my Carrot Cake recipe. I thought that perhaps using shredded unsweetened coconut would add an exciting new flavor into the mix, as well as having the perfect consistency to use as a base for a frosting when blended. However if you do not mind the soy and are not the biggest fan of coconut due to the high fat-content, you can use the frosting from the carrot cake recipe, and if so slightly alter how much tofu you use because it should be thicker than what I used there.
Even though this recipe only makes 4 cupcakes, they are very filling especially when adding the frosting. Also to avoid any confusion, the following recipes are completely healthy, gluten-free, vegan, soy-free with the easy option of making this nut-free as well (just substitute the almond milk for another plant-based milk, and if you are allergic to coconut you might want to skip the frosting/use the soy one).
Lemon Cupcakes with Coconut-Apricot Frosting Ingredients
- 1 1/2 cup oats
- 1 1/2 cup dates
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or other plant-based milk)
- Juice from 1/2 lemon (about 1 tbsp lemon juice)
- Peel from 1/2 lemon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseeds
- 200g shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup dried apricots
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
Lemon Cupcakes with Coconut-Apricot Frosting Directions:
- Lemon Cupcakes with Coconut Apricot FrostingPreheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius/390 degrees Fahrenheit. In a food processor/blender add in the unsweetened almond milk, vanilla essence and dates, and blend this until you have a completely smooth mixture. Combine all of the dry ingredients together in a bowl, before stirring in the blended mixture as well. Stir for a minute or so, to absorb a bit of the liquid. Pour the batter into a muffin pan (this recipe makes 4 large ones) and place in the oven for 40-60 minutes, or until they are thoroughly cooked through and are slightly golden.
Lemon Cupcakes with Coconut Apricot Frosting
- While that is cooking it is time to make the frosting. Cover the dried apricots in water, and allow it to sit until the apricots have softened (usually around 1 hour). This is not necessary, but it does make the frosting a lot smoother. Add all the shredded coconut into a food processor (do not think a blender would work here…) and process until it is starting to become relatively sticky yet slightly crumbly. This will take around 10 minutes or so. When that is done add in all the remaining ingredients and blend until completely smooth. If it is a bit too thick for your liking you can add in a tbsp or so of water, and pulse this a few times. Place the frosting into a plastic bag, with a small hole cut on one of the edges. While waiting for the cupcakes to finish, place the frosting in the fridge.
- When the cupcakes are done take them out of the oven, and let rest on a cooling rack for at least 10 minutes before decorating. When they are properly chilled, take the plastic bag with the frosting in it out of the fridge and start adding it on. When you are satisfied with the look, they are all ready to eat so enjoy!
As always, I would love to hear your thoughts on this recipe and enjoy!