Wow – the amazing, deep red color of this delicious cabbage and beet soup looks so great. This soup will be a real topic of conversation if you served it up at a dinner party – I challenge anybody not to mention the incredible colors when they are served a bowl of this! Although there isn’t much prep time for this Cabbage Soup recipe (20 minutes or so), it does take around an hour and a half for the beets to cook through, so be prepared for this. You don’t want hard beetroot in your otherwise tasty soup.
As with the beetroot and tofu burgers I made this week, I highly recommend wearing disposable gloves when handling the beets in this recipe, otherwise you’ll be washing your hands for the rest of the week trying to get the red off them!
Hunky Heartbeet Cabbage Soup Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) coconut oil
- 2 cups (280 g) diced red onion (about 1 medium/large)
- 5 cups (540 g) diced red cabbage (about 1/2 medium)
- 4 cups (500 g) peeled and diced raw beets (about 2 large/3 medium)*
- 5 cups (1.2 L) marinara sauce**
- 3 cups (750 mL) water
- Fine sea salt or Herbamare, to taste
- Cashew Sour Cream, for serving (optional)
- Fresh dill, for garnish (optional)
This vegan recipe and beautiful photos are courtesy of Oh She Glows. You can get this delicious Hunky Heartbeet Cabbage Soup recipe by clicking here.