You can easily say that my little sister has an obsession with cheese. Seriously, she used to refer to herself as a cheesetarian. However since she is currently vegetarian (sometimes into veganism), I wanted to show her that you can make vegan cheese completely from scratch. The base of this particular recipe is pine nuts, but you can probably use cashews that you have soaked in water for preferably 2 or more hours.
I used this on top of a Gluten-free Whole Grain Pizza Crust (yeast-free as well) and added some italian herbs, making the perfect pizza margherita (both recipes will be up within the week). Another delicious variation is to use the cream cheese as a spread on Whole Grain Crispbread, along with Maldon salt, freshly ground black pepper, and some sliced tomatoes or cucumber.
- 2 1/2 cup chopped cauliflower
- 1/2 cup pine nuts (or use cashews soaked in water for 2+ hours)
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp lemon juice1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder (optional)
- Add in water into a pot and bring this in to a boil (make sure that it is enough water to cover the cauliflower by eyeballing it), before adding in the cauliflower. Cook this until the cauliflower is completely tender, probably around 10 minutes.
- Place the other ingredients into a food processor, and process until you have a creamy paste. Add in the cauliflower as well, and pulse. When it is completely smooth, scoop the cream cheese into a bowl and use for whatever you wish. Store this in an airtight container in the fridge, however I recommend eating this within a few days, that way it is stays as fresh as possible.
I basically use this next to any dinner I make that would be fitting with cheese. Enjoy!