It seems strange writing about soups when it’s still summer as I always associate them with the fall were you need a lovely, warming dish when it’s raining outside and the wind is howling. However, I tried this Creamy Country Vegetable Chowder this week and it really is delicious, so I just had to share it here.
There’s nothing fancy in the ingredient list, just standard vegetables that most of us will have in your cupboards or fridge – potatoes, zucchini, onion, pumpkin – so, with any luck you won’t need to go out to the store.
As with all soups, this is great for making a really big batch in your biggest pan, so you can freeze portions and have quick access to a delicious chowder anytime in the future. Having dishes like these in your freezer can be a real life saver, or an easy dish just when you need it the most.
Creamy Country Vegetable Chowder Ingredients
- 1 onion
- 1 small pumpkin or squash (about 400g)
- 2 parsnips
- 3 small potatoes
- 1 zucchini
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 stock cubes dissolved in 3 1/4 cups (800 ml) boiling water (ensure GF Certified if needed)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp garlic salt (or 1 tsp garlic granules and 2 tsp sea salt)
- 1 tsp dried chives
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 5 cups (1.2 litres) unsweetened cashew or soy milk
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- 2 cups frozen mixed veg
- Optional – up to 1/4 cup nutritional yeast for a slightly cheesy flavour
This vegan recipe and beautiful photos are courtesy of Bunny Kitchen. You can get this delicious Creamy Country Vegan Vegetable Chowder recipe by clicking here.