Now, bear with me on this one. When my non-vegan friends first saw me at a barbeque earlier this summer chomping on Carrot Dogs, it did cause a few raised eyebrows and several smiles and even laughs – at least it did until they actually tried them for themselves!
They’re dead easy to do, you just par boil them, let them cool and then marinade in the fridge overnight (so perfect for doing the evening before a barbeque). Then when it’s eating time, just pop them on the barbeque (or under a grill) for a few minutes, then pop in a hot dog bun with the salsa and you’re in business.
Carrot Dogs with Mango Avocado Salsa Ingredients
For the carrot dogs:
- 6 medium-large carrots, peeled and trimmed to the length of hot dog buns
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
For the mango avocado salsa:
- 1 cup diced fresh mango
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 small avocado, pitted and diced
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and minced
- Juice of half a medium lime, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 hot dog buns
- Thinly sliced red cabbage
This vegan recipe and beautiful photos are courtesy of Oh My Veggies. You can get this delicious Carrot Dogs with Mango Avocado Salsa recipe by clicking here.