There’s nothing quite like being curled up on a sofa when it’s raining or freezing cold outside with a big bowl of delicious mac and cheese. That’s why I decided to make this Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese recipe that I found online recently.
Make sure that the vegan cheese that you use works well when melted. I used a cheese the other day for a pizza and it really didn’t work very well – some cheeses work perfectly fine for sandwiches or grating, but some are not so good for melting. The nutritional yeast helps give the dish a cheesy flavor, so the grated cheese topping isn’t necessarily required, but I do recommend it.
Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese Ingredients
- 1/2 large butternut squash, roasted and cut into small pieces
- Teaspoon each of onion and garlic powder
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 3/4 cup cashews, soaked in water for and hour
- 3 cups soy milk
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot or cornstarch
- Dash of oil
- Pasta of your choice, but it’s wonderful with that big ‘elbow’ pasta
- Fresh basil leaves
- Optional – vegan cheese for topping