There’s nothing quite like being curled up on a sofa when it’s raining or freezing cold outside with a big bowl of delicious mac and cheese. That’s why I decided to make this Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese recipe that I found online recently.
Make sure that the vegan cheese that you use works well when melted. I used a cheese the other day for a pizza and it really didn’t work very well – some cheeses work perfectly fine for sandwiches or grating, but some are not so good for melting. The nutritional yeast helps give the dish a cheesy flavor, so the grated cheese topping isn’t necessarily required, but I do recommend it.
Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese Ingredients
- 1/2 large butternut squash, roasted and cut into small pieces
- Teaspoon each of onion and garlic powder
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 3/4 cup cashews, soaked in water for and hour
- 3 cups soy milk
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot or cornstarch
- Dash of oil
- Pasta of your choice, but it’s wonderful with that big ‘elbow’ pasta
- Fresh basil leaves
- Optional – vegan cheese for topping
This vegan recipe and beautiful photos are courtesy of An Ode to Mung Beans. You can get this delicious Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese recipe by clicking here.